***********************************************************

Make Art, Not War

Saturday, April 30, 2011

the Eat Street community garden


Hurray for Spring!

Today was the spring work day at my community garden, and it is the first time i have been by there since last fall! I love my garden (Look! Meet my little green friend!). How I have missed that small plot of dirt. And of course the yard that surrounds it. It was a pot luck and it so much fun. It was good to see everybody and meet the new folks. With the plot comes the community, and honestly, I am happy to be part of that. Most of them I see at the co-op, or elsewhere in the hood because, well, we're all from around here. Its nice to share food with like-minded people and talk about neighborhood events and such. I had a lot of fun.
I am really excited that our garden is going to become a non-profit this year, and we are going to really make an effort to build a community among the gardeners. There's going to be a weekly social hour, and i cant wait to see how that grows.
Oh, indeed, how does your garden grow?
As for my little plot, I am happy to see the return of my bleeding hearts bush!!! I transplanted it last year, and it didn't do so hot. So, I was hoping for a comeback this year and the little guy is doing it! I am inexpressibly happy to have bleeding hearts in my garden. Of all the beautiful things (and it is definitely on that list) they are my favorite flower. And what better place for them then in a community garden? For everyone to enjoy?
I want to grow other flowers too, this year, and some herbs and some dino kale, and then I don't know what else. I want to get better at gardening too, but I'm not sweating that.
To quote May Sarton
" Gardening is always a series of losses set against a few triumphs, like life itself."
I want to learn by experience. I want to improve by degrees, enjoy the breeze and take it easy. It feels good to get dirty (or in this case, muddy because it rained on us the whole time we were out there). Looking forwards to all the out door fun. Happy spring everybody.

No comments: