***********************************************************

Make Art, Not War

Thursday, April 28, 2011

The most beautiful things

I have decided to write the most beautiful poem I have ever written. I was out walking around the lake, listening to Laura Viers (the song is called "make something good") and the line that really struck me was simply "and it's ganna take a long, long time."

How true. A person's life's work is usually a combination of everything else they have done, but also it is something they have been slowly putting together over the course of their whole life, shaping and perfecting it with their years of experience. I want to begin that process. I want to start drafting the work I will write and rewrite until it is my legacy.

And I want it to be beautiful.

Recently, my painter friend and I were discussing our art (specifically, the why's and how's of its creation) and we both agreed that making beautiful things is its own end. What is important in this life, is what we love. And appreciation for the things we love, is what gives us energy.

That is what I want this poem to be about. That is "what I make art for". I write poems for all sorts of reasons, and on all subject matter- not all of which are pleasant- but my best work is in this vein. If there is a single motivator for creating art (for me) it is beauty.

So, I shall begin by creating a list of the most beautiful things I can think of. The most beautiful thoughts I can articulate, the most beautiful emotions I can express, the most beautiful experiences that i can possibly convey... this will take time. But the idea is to start somewhere, and see where it leads. It is important to always be envisioning the future the way you want it to go. So, I'm putting this out there...

No comments: