***********************************************************

Make Art, Not War

Monday, April 15, 2013

Vision board 2013




So my girlfriends and I had a wholesome good time last Friday night, cutting and pasting together vision boards for a fun little girls night art project. A vision board, or dream board, is where you clip images and words out of old magazines and put them together in whatever order pleases you on poster board. The idea is to visualize what you want in your life, things or places you want to be, things you want to be doing, whatever, and the point is to get creative.

Just look at all this fun we're having.

















If you’ve never done this, I would recommend it to anyone at any time in your life. I will say it goes best in groups (try to get people to bring different kinds of magazines for variety). We sat around and talked about what we wanted our summers to look like (as enjoyable a conversation as you can imagine on a cold, snowy/rainy April day).  My board is heavily influenced by thoughts of summertime escape.

I really love this thing. I love how it turned out. I have a vision board that I made two years ago that I still really like. But now, looking at the two next to each other, I realize how much I have changed. My friends and I decided we must do this at least once a year from now on. What better way to visualize the near future than to put your positive intentions down on paper? To quote the gracious Ms. Gloria Steinem “Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning.” Now I get up everyday and look at it, and can imagine the pathways to getting there. Summer here I come.


So, I wrote a poem out of all of the text that I found to put on this board. I left the phrases intact (except the phrase “Create a life you LOVE” which I literally cut up so it would fit with the images while contextually it stays the same) and this is what I came up with. This is my intentions for the summer of 2013 in a few words:


Write
in the garden
Caterpillar unleashed
Create a life you LOVE
Meet the poet
Sunny days and friendly people
Imagination in more important than knowledge
Reading is sexy



Peace,
Misty

No comments: